District Festival has been scheduled for Friday, March 11 at 1:25 p.m. at Zachary High School, more details to follow.
The 7th and 8th graders will have the opportunity this semester to perform at the District IV Large Ensemble Festival on March 10th and 11th (exact time TBA) as a part of the Central Middle Symphonic Band. This event is an adjudicated festival with three judges rating our three prepared pieces and one judge rating our sight-reading abilities. Judges can rate the bands “1”through“5”, “1” being the highest rating. Groups that receive all 1’s from all judges, or Sweepstakes, advance to State Festival held April 19th and 20th.
The music for this performance will be worked on in class, however after school rehearsals will be necessary in order to combine all of the different classes. All 7th and 8th graders are a part of the District Symphonic Band, and will maintain their eligibility by:
- Maintaining an A or B overall average in Band, with no C’s or below on playing tests (keep in mind missing work can always be turned in late and tests can always be retaken to bring up grade). Do not assume that you have fallen out of eligibility because of your grade until Ms. Codina has conferenced with you.
- Attend ALL schedule rehearsals and sectionals:
Full Symphonic Band Practices:
- Friday, February 5, 2:30 – 4:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 12, 2:45 – 4:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 19, 2:45 – 4:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 26, 2:45 – 4:00 p.m.
- Friday, March 4, 2:45 – 4:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 9, 2:45 – 4:00 p.m.
(OR) Thursday, March 10, 2:45-4:00 p.m. TBD Depending on performance date
We will have a Pre-Festival Performance on Wednesday, February 24th at 6:30 p.m. in the CMS Gym. This is designed to give the students a chance to play for a panel of judges and receive feedback so they can grow and make adjustments in their playing before the actual festival takes place. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to come and see the students play their festival music as the festival usually occurs during the work day and we don’t play those pieces of music on the Spring Concert. Students will need to wear their band uniform and all grading procedures that normally apply to concerts will be in place.
If one of these dates presents a major conflict, please e-mail me BEFORE the date to determine if it is an excused absence. Students that fall out of eligibility will be given an alternate assignment in order to make up the points for the rehearsals and performance. Please reach me by email email@example.com if you have questions and please do not hesitate to contact me.
KATIE M. CODINA
Central Middle School