Great job 7th & 8th Grade Mustangs in the 2018 Gonzales Christmas Parade! We are so proud of how well you all did. A BIG THANKS to all the parents who came out to march with us and who made the day a success.
Congratulations to the students from the Central Mustang Band selected into the District IV Honor Bands! These students auditioned against hundreds of musicians from all throughout the Greater Baton Rouge Area. We are so proud of the 24 7th & 8th graders who worked hard to earn seats in these prestigious groups! The selected students will travel to Southeastern University in Hammond in January for a weekend of rehearsals and a concert. Good luck!
District IV Honor Band Auditions are on December 8, 2018 at University High on LSU's campus (see map below for directions & parking). Students that pre-registered have been given an audition time, which is below.
Students that do not have a time but still want to audition can late register between 8:00-10:00 am the day of the auditions and pay the $15 late registration fee.
What to Bring:
Dress nice, the judge will see you!
Students should arrive approximately 30 minutes before their scheduled audition time to check-in, warm-up, and find their audition room. Once they are finished auditioning, they can leave. (see times below)
Many instruments audition in two rooms. For example, they may play their scales in one room and their etude and sight-reading in another room. These rooms will be next door to each other and clearly labeled.
Will be posted at www.districtiv.org the evening of auditions.
Remember the best way to fight nerves the day of the auditions is to be the most prepared that you can be ! Be sure to spend the majority of your time from now until the audition day on the parts of the music and scales that you don't know, rather than practicing over and over the parts you can play well. Make recordings of yourself playing so you can hear how you sound and listen to the model recordings at www.districtiv.org/middle-school.html.
On the day of the auditions, avoid drinking a lot of caffeine or eating a lot of sugar. This can heighten nerves! Dress nice, but make sure you are comfortable playing your instrument in whatever outfit you are wearing. Avoid listening to other people in warm-up or listening outside the audition door. Be confident in what YOU have prepared! Walk in the room confidently, say "Good morning" to the judge and get right to playing. Don't make excuses for mistakes, just play! The judges will be hearing lots of students all day and you won't be the first who will mess up!
‚ÄãAnd finally remember to be...
GONZALES CHRISTMAS PARADE
REHEARSALS FOR PARADE
All rehearsals and performances with the band are mandatory and for a grade.
Please note that there has been a route change. From EA, the parade will now take a LEFT onto Burnside and end at the Eastbank Shopping Center on HWY 30.
Week of 11/27:
Tuesday, Nov. 27 at 6:30 pm - Parent Booster Meeting
Wednesday, Nov. 28 until 4:00 pm - Drumline Practice
Thursday, Nov. 29 until 4:00 pm - Honor Band Help Session
Week of 12/3:
Wednesday, Dec. 5 until 4:00 pm - Parade Practice
Thursday, Dec. 6 until 4:00 pm - Parade Practice
Friday, Dec. 7 until 4:00 pm - Honor Band Help Session
Saturday, Dec. 8 TBA - Honor Band Auditions (individual times TBA)
Sunday, Dec. 9 - Gonzales Christmas Parade
Week of 12/10:
Wednesday, Dec. 12 - Winter Concert
Details for the trip are:
LMEA State Music Conference
Crowne Plaza Hotel, Baton Rouge
Monday, November 19, 2018 (Monday of Thanksgiving Break)
- Dress - Band Uniform
- Report to school NLT 6:15 am
- Bring band instrument and band binder
- Donuts will be provided
- School bus will transport us to the hotel for the 8:00 am clinic
- Parents accompanying us are welcome to stay for the clinic
- After the clinic, we will stay for approximately 1 hour and watch one of the high school All-State Bands practice for their concert that afternoon
- Arrive back to school no later than 12:00 noon
If you are interested in chaperoning, please e-mail Ms. Codina at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to accommodate seating for all of our guests,
we will hold two separate performances.
6th Grade – 6:00 pm – Students Report by 5:40 pm
7th & 8th Grade – 7:15 pm – Students Report by 6:50 pm
Please leave instrument cases in the car or with parents. Only students with large school owned instruments will be allowed in the band room before the concert.
Graded performance based on:
- On time attendance
- Appropriate dress
- Musical preparation & participation
- Appropriate concert etiquette/behavior
- After the concert, all students are expected to help with clean-up!
- Special Note:
- 6:00 Concert – Students will be dismissed at the end of their performance to make room for the 7th & 8th Grade Bands. 6th Graders are not required to stay for the second concert due to space concerns. However, if they stay they should sit in the audience with adult supervision.
- 7:15 Concert – Students are expected to sit with their band when not performing. The 7:15 Concert should last no more than 1 hr. If 7th & 8th Graders wish to see the 6th graders perform, they should sit in the audience with adult supervision.